First the ingredients:
* NOTE: I made a double batch, but the recipe here is for a single batch.
1. Preheat oven to 350°f.
2. For crust, in a medium bowl stir together flour and brown sugar.
3. Cut the butter into the mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
4. Press flour mixture into the bottom of a 9 x 13 x 2 inch baking pan.
5. Bake 15 minutes.
5. Sprinkle coconut and nuts (if using, I didn’t in this recipe) over partially baked crust.
6. In a small bowl stir together sweetened condensed milk and vanilla
7. Pour over coconut and nuts.
8. Bake for 25-30 minutes more or until set.
9. Let stand in pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes
10. In a small saucepan combine caramels and milk.
11. Heat and stir over medium-low heat just until caramels melt. (this picture shows them about halfway melted, but remember that they need to be all the way melted, a smooth, milky mixture)
12. Drizzle caramel mixture over baked mixture. Sprinkle top with chocolate chips.
13. Cool completely and cut into bars.
And here is a shot of the finished product at the judging today.
I didn’t win the competition but eating these yummy bars will be prize enough. Thanks again to Chefasbabe, and I will be visiting your blog again soon for some more yummy treats.